About the Athena Performing Arts Series
The Athena Performing Arts initiative was launched in July of 2018 with the vision of providing increased opportunities for learning, creative expression and civic engagement for all ages within Athens and the surrounding communities.
Working with the Athens City Schools Educational Foundation 501(c) 3 and volunteers from the community, the goal of the Athena Performing Arts Committee is to create a performing arts series that provides professional productions by local, national and international artists to enhance the quality of life of those in the community, expand educational opportunities, and broaden access to the performing arts.
Arts Education is part of the vision of the Athens Performing Arts Committee. Whether in the schools or in the community our aim is to engage children, teens, and adults in the artistic process, cultivate appreciation of the performing arts, and make the performing arts a vital and integral part of school and community.
The goal is to invite students to view the Christmas performance each year during a matinee production, participate as “extras” in performances when possible, and develop a Performing Arts Production Program for high school students.
Due to the generosity of the Athens City School Board, performances will be held in the 760 seat auditorium in the new Athens High School.
- Kenny Baskins
- Sheri Baskins
- Jennifer Bunnell
- Marcia Day
- Amy Golden
- Martha Griggs
- Clare Grisham
- Chris Hamilton
- Barry Hamilton
- Deborah Holladay
- Amanda Holland
- Holly Hollman
- Christy Hubbard
- John Hubbard
- Melissa Morell
- Betty Dean Newman
- Deborah Ford Strain
- Maria Taylor
- Susan Trent
- Lucretia Woodroof
- Greg Young
FIRST YEAR PLANS
- July 25, 7:00 p.m., Singer Songwriter Night
- Featuring Jim Parker, Michael Anthony Curtis, Rock Kilough & Matt Prater
- Aug/Sept 2019 GRITS: The Musical (Girls Raised in the South)
- Friends Are Forevah, this original musical follows four Southern women from four different generations as they reminisce about their pasts and speak to their futures. Equal parts funny and heartwarming, GRITS: The Musical has Southern charm to spare!
- Dec/Jan 2019-2020- Children's Production
- April/May 2020 - Musical Concert